President Obama Declared “January To Be National Slavery And Human Trafficking Prevention Month.”
DEFINITION: “Human trafficking is a form of modern-day slavery where people profit from the control and exploitation of others.” For sex, domestic or farm labor.
According to the United Nations:
• Someone becomes a victim every 30 seconds.
• Human Trafficking is the second largest and fastest growing criminal industry in the world (after drug trade).
• Human Trafficking is modern slavery. Todays:
› It is approximated that 27 million people are currently enslaved worldwide (80% are females).
› Over half of the victims are children around the age of 13 (Every 2 minuted a child is being prepared for sexual exploitation).
› 85% of them are being traded for sex exploitation (The average victim is raped up to 30 times a day).
• The U.S is one of the top nations involved in human trafficking.
• In the U.S, it is estimated that around two hundred thousand minors are forced into sex trafficking every years (the average age of entry into prostitution is 13 y/o).
“Trafficking networks operate both domestically and trans-nationally, and although abuses disproportionally affect women and girls, the victims of this ongoing global tragedy are men, women and children of all ages.”
• Today, there are more slave than there have ever been in the history of humanity.
–”A million it’s just a statistic until you meet the one”
Visit us on Facebook, Twitter or Tumblr to watch “ Be Her Freedom” by The A21 Campaign.